Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bluebonnet Festival



The weather was absolutely perfect last Saturday! We got up early and headed for Chappell Hill, Texas and the annual Bluebonnet Festival. Many vendors were still setting up when we arrived around 9:00 am so we did a 'walk thru' to see what was available. I'm always on the look out for something new and unique and was thrilled to find the most unique handmade pendants! They are called 'Shadowbox Pendants', made by a couple of gals who call themselves 'Back Yard Friends', from Montgomery, Texas. Each one is a small box crafted from metal and glass. Inside the boxes are small charms, such as crosses, stars, guitars ( my favorite ) etc, mounted on colorful paper backgrounds. An added plus: they are reversible! Mine has a guitar on one side and a tiny rhinestone star on the other. They are worn on a large 'ball' chain. I'll take a picture and post it soon. I love it!!!
My next purchase was a pack of cedar grilling planks and seasoning from http://www.southernmailboxman.com/. My next stop was at Pepper Belly's pepperbellystx@aol.com where I bought Dirty Jalapeno Olive relish, Texas Candied Jalapenos and Italian Bruschetta. The relish and Jalapenos are delicious mixed into cream cheese and sour cream, served with chips or crackers. Also found a neat little plant stand for the front porch. And of course, it is tradition to buy two bags of Aggie Kettle corn...YUM!

After lunch at Almost Heaven Cafe in Brenham, we went to The Antique Rose Emporium in Independence. I bought a few pots of herbs and found a big pot of Yarrow. I love this frilly, fern like herb, with its delicate flowers. It's a medicinal herb, not for cooking, just enjoying. From there we stopped and took a few Bluebonnet pictures before visiting the Windy Hill Winery http://www.windyhillwinery.net/. After tasting several vitis, I chose the Yellow Rose and Brazos Red.
It was getting a little late in the day but we decided to make a quick stop at Martha's Bloomers in Navasota. http://www.marthasbloomers.com/ before heading home. Although we didn't find anything we just had to have, it is a fun place to visit...lots of plants and garden accessories.
While I was traipsing around shopping and cavorting in the Bluebonnets, my Special Someone, aka Mr. B was riding in the MS 150 bicycle marathon. He gave me a quick call when he made a pit stop along the way. A strong headwind slowed things a bit but bless his heart...he made it to La Grange Saturday night.
They were on the road to Austin by 7:00 am Sunday morning. Long story short, he finished! What a guy!
All in all it was a wonderful day, ya'll!

4 comments:

She Loves to Quilt said...

What a beautiful picture!!! I am so glad that the weather was so nice and that you had such a nice time!

Anonymous said...

There are more beautiful things in that field than just bluebonnets.

Anonymous said...

Pepper Belly is out of business so don't send them any money.. they will cash it and run

Anonymous said...

Rick Newton with Pepperbellys is a con man and a thief. I have been looking for him for a year. He stole 1,044.00 from me.