Saturday, June 10, 2006

"Medical" Road Rage?

www.Chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/nation/3940309.html


There is now a medical definition for 'road rage'. It's called intermittent explosive disorder.
This disorder involves angry outbursts that are way out of proportion to the situation. Threats, property damage and aggressive actions are involved in these angry outbursts.

I'll bet the pharmaceutical companies are happy with this news...They can sell even more pills.
Lawyers will be getting in on the money making action, too...They now have one more defense strategy to pull out of their hats when some IMD (intermittent explosive disorder) 'victim' winds up in court.

I find it interesting that most people 'suffering' from this malady have other emotional disorders or drug or alcohol problems. Consequently, could this type of behavior be the result of making poor choices? Even if a person truly has a mental illness or chemical imbalance, they make a personal choice to use illegal drugs and alcohol. What happens when anti-depressants are mixed with drugs and alcohol?

Not everyone who does these things is afflicted, so, what about taking responsibility for one's actions? Do we really need one more 'disease' to blame for bad behavior? Being stuck in traffic is stressful, but there are more positive ways to deal with it than to re-act like a two year old!

Remember the Golden Rule?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Be nice, ya'll!





3 comments:

Jason said...

You know the trend among lawyers and psychiatrist as of late is not to hold anyone responsible to their actions. It's not your fault anymore. If I had the $10 million lotto in the bank I would try a little social experiment. Next time someone cuts into my lane without warning, I'm going to put a bullet in their tires and tell the police the other driver forced my hand. He made me do it. It's not my fault! ;-)

Attila the Mom said...

::sigh::

It takes all kinds, doesn't it?

TxGoodie said...

I'll admit to having a Traffic Temper, but I'd never do anything to another driver other than question his parentage.

I will most likely implode someday due to my own blood pressure being tested, but people are just so GolDamn stupid these days. They make up traffic rules as they go along...if they need to be in the far lane and they're actually in the right lane, no problemo, just stop on the friggin' freeway, make a sharp left in front of God and all or even back up if it suits! No one in their right mind is going to hit them because you KNOW they don't have insurance anyway.

My only consolation is the belief that someone will be scooping up their bodyparts someday because you can only play auto roulette so long before the black comes up!