Sunday, September 03, 2006

Seriously...

Recently I crossed paths with a young man whose political views and philosophy on life is totally opposite from mine....someone who, if I encountered him on the street, or saw him hanging out at the mall, I would label as a skater or a punk. He's a 19 year old kid after all! Why would he and I have any inclination to want to know each other?

Well, certain events lead us to meet, along with a few of his friends. They seemed uncomfortable, even though I tried to make them feel welcome in my home. I'm sure I represent a lifestyle that they have had very little exposure to. Nevertheless, I tried to make them feel comfortable for the short while they sat in my living room. I admit I was a little uncomfortable myself.

I silently sized him up while the introductions were being made. I immediately noticed the cold, blank look in his eyes. He seemed emotionless, as did his buddies. It was as if he didn't want to make eye contact. There were none of the usual social gestures made. No "Hello, pleased to meet you" from him or the other boys. He had a small boom box with him and began checking the batteries. He then asked me if I had any extra ones he could borrow, as the batteries were dead. How weird, I'm thinking. So, for the remainder of his brief stay he concentrated on changing out the dead batteries.

Because of circumstances that I can't go into because of privacy issues, I felt it necessary to find out "where he was coming from". Through Myspace I started a dialogue with him. ( I had checked out his site and was a little shocked and concerned at what I saw). I began by telling him it was nice to meet him and that I hoped they enjoyed the reggae concert. I asked about his family. I asked about the *ska* lifestyle. He told me his people were a bunch of rednecks from Mississippi and that he didn't fit in with them. He came here to visit his brother and decided to stay. He's more punk than ska...he's also an anarchist, not into religion and believes that the bible was written by some random guy, and just like Harry Potter, it's stupid. He has morals, he says, but people judge him and call him a satanist when they find out what he believes. Politicians invented religion to control us, America is the next Hitler and on and on! The boy was getting fired up! I'd heard enough! I never could get him to tell me why he believes as he does. Ironically, he signed each post; peace. I wonder, how can a person who believes in chaos and lawlessness have true peace in their life?

No, it's not up to me to judge him or anyone. That's God's job. As a Christian I feel sad for him...for his young soul. What a shame and a waste to be filled with such negativity and bitterness. Of course, I pray that his heart will soften and that he will come to know that there is a better way to live. I wanted to tell him more but he stopped communicating with me when I (politely, I might add) called him down for being disrespectful. The *Mother* in me was starting to kick in!


If the eyes are the windows of the soul, I saw nothing but emptiness and darkness when I looked into his. There's only one thing that will light up that lost soul...the light of God's love and grace! I pray that he finds it!

Know God
Know Peace


No God
No Peace


Bless Ya'll!

2 comments:

Jason said...

He won't tell you what makes him believe what he does because he doesn't even know. He's rebelling against his upbringing in Mississippi and embracing just about everything that's opposite of where he comes from. He is also proud of that. He loves to be different and he feels that when he meets new people he has to show them how "different-strange-noncomformist-bla bla bla bliggety bla" he is. Hopefully as he gets older he will chill out and wisen up. Then again he may not and be in the same rut for a long time. I hope he learns that to be in his 20s and getting older with no direction is a scary thing.

When I was his age (did I just say that), I experimented with 'liberalism.' Although I never went as far as anarchist (people who subscribe to anarchism are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy out in la la la land if you ask me) even then I was smarter than that. Now when someone like him tried to impress me, I roll my eyes and say "grow up kid, then talk to me." They hate that.

Lainey said...

You nailed it, Jason. I'm sure you see a lot more of of this type than I ever will.

They're scary! I forgot to ask him if he has a job...probably not. he's mooching off an old lady, his friends granny.

Oh well, he's history. I never have to see him again. And if I do, I'm calling 'old' 31 year old cop Jason. LOL, just kidding, but you get my drift.