Saturday, July 28, 2007

Comin' Through!

This story is so cute! I could hardly wait to get home and share it with everyone. I was on my way to work this morning around 9:00 am. Traffic was light on this cloudy Saturday morning, unlike a weekday when everyone is in a rush to get to work. I had just accelerated after stopping at a red light when I noticed a few cars on the opposite side of the road had pulled over. I was in the right lane and another car was right beside me in the left lane. A pickup pulling a boat was coming up behind me. I braked a little, glancing to the left, trying to see what was happening. As I glanced back into my traffic lane I saw what the commotion was! A pair of adult ducks were smack in the middle of the lane! Following directly behind them were about 8 or 10 ducklings! They all seemed to be oblivious to the fact that they were literally stopping four lanes traffic! I hit the brake just short of slamming into them. They casually waddled onto the grassy side of the road, into the ditch. As soon as I hit the brake, I looked into my rear view mirror to see how close the pick up was. Thankfully, he saw what was happening and slowed down too. I'm sure we all had a smile on our face as we continued on our way.

I immediately called my son to give him a blow by blow report. He's a nature lover like his Mom, so I knew he would get a kick out hearing about it. He's also a four wheeler riding, cammo wearing bubba, a hunter and a fisherman. He loves to hunt all manner of critter and fowl... Even has a professionally trained, champion bloodline chocolate lab bird dog named 'Rip'.
Know what he said? "Wow, that would have been a mess if you had plowed into all them birds, Mom. Feathers flying all over the place, all in your grill and sh**." Then he laughed!

I love that boy!

We've had an extremely rainy summer here in Houston. We're all about to become web footed and grow algae! I guess that's one explanation for this random duck crossing. Our feathered friends are loving all the water, so they're just doing what ducks do. Trekking from pond to pond, even if it means stopping traffic on a four lane road! At least they didn't cause a major pile up or get squished to pieces. I fear the outcome would have been tragic had this event taken place on a busy weekday morning. God was surely looking out for all His creatures....He's cool like that.


Those little baby duckies were so cute, ya'll!

2 comments:

TxGoodie said...

When my oldest was about 3 or so we were sitting in a Dairy Queen and she looked up and started saying "ducks, ducks, ducks"...we didn't know WHY, but then we figured it out...she was looking at the banana splits with the three DQ curly Q's of ice cream and the way the top loop curved back on itself DOES look like duck heads! I can't even see the word 'duck' now without thinking of that.

Ducks, ducks, ducks are cool!

She Loves to Quilt said...

gotta love duckies!!!!