Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy Independence Day!



Elvis and Presley are such good boys! They sat still for about 5 seconds while I took their picture. Elvis doesn't mind the Harley cap but Presley wants no part of it.
The sound of exploding fireworks have been filling the air for several days. Poor Elvis is about to have a nervous meltdown. Presley, on the other hand just barks a little and looks at Elvis like he's lost his everlovin' mind. It got especially intense last night so I gave them both a dose of Benadryl to relax them. It must have had the reverse effect on Elvis...he cried like a little girl doggie...for hours!
Both of them piled on the couch with me, cowering on my lap. Everytime a boom pierced the air, their heads popped up and the crying and barking began. About 10:30 I started nodding off in between the outbursts and decided it was time to go to bed.
I put their crates inside the shiny new fence enclosure in the middle of the kitchen floor. They recently learned how to body slam the 'baby' gate and escape from the kitchen so this fence was just the ticket! I offered each of them their Milk Bone treat, like I do every night. Presley enthusiastically devoured his. With sad, panicked eyes looking up at me, Elvis sniffed his and refused it. Presley quickly scarfed it up.
I turned out the lights, told them 'night night' and retired to my room. Almost immediately the howling started again. I heard the boom of fireworks in the distance....Elvis did too, apparently. They were coming from the sub division on the other side of the woods behind the house, for crying out loud....as E was doing, I might add. The little guy made sounds I've never heard before! It must have freaked Presley out to witness such carrying on because he didn't make a peep. I couldn't get to sleep because of all the commotion. I finally got up and told The King to keep it down. After another 30 minutes of wailing, he must have been exhausted and about to lose his voice. He finally shut up and passed out. Thankfully, the far away neighbors were running out of ammo and the racket slowly died down.
It is now the morning after and as I write this, they are both in the kitchen, sleeping like babies on their blankies. I love my boys!
I guess the Benadryl finally kicked in, ya'll!



6 comments:

TxGoodie said...

I like the pictures! They're so cute!!

My old boy is totally deaf now and he only barks when he sees me move quickly or react differently. He never was one to spook over fireworks noise, thank goodness, because my boy before was terrified. It was an ordeal just to get him to hunker down in the yard to do is thing with even the distant pops and booms.



Hugs...

She Loves to Quilt said...

oh my gosh..........they are so handsome!!! Gotta love the boys!!!

Jason said...

Ahhh poor doggies!

Litzi said...

Hi Lainey,
Elvis and Presley look absolutely adorable in their patriotic scarves. You’ve got two photogenic boys.

There are always warnings on the 4th of July to keep your “children” indoors because the fireworks can be upsetting to them…obviously even being near Mom doesn’t help in your situation. Maybe you should’ve taken some Benadryl, along with Elvis and Presley, to help you through the night.

Hopefully all is back to normal by now.

dadto3 said...

Elvis looks like he's saying "Oh, Lord please don't put this on the blog."

She Loves to Quilt said...

gotta love the boys......