Monday, February 04, 2008

Valentine's Day

I recently discovered that I have been suffering from 'The Januarys'. I was talking to a friend recently about the general 'blahness' of the first month of the new year. He had heard this malady called The Januarys. It sounded like a fitting description for the blue funk many of us experience this time of year. The weather is cold and nasty and everyone is exhausted and broke from the recent holiday rush. Half of the population has the flu or the sniffles. We all seem to hibernate as much as possible, leaving our homes only when absolutely necessary. And, yours truly didn't even feel like blogging! Most evenings after work, I was curled up on the sofa in front of the TV, trying to get warm. Of course, my faithful pups, Elvis and Presley were always by my side. Those little guys are always ready to snuggle!

Well, it is now February and I have recovered. Valentine's Day is right around the corner. Just walk thru any store. The retailers started putting out all the red hearts right after Christmas. I tried to ignore them but finally decided to get with the program. Even though my *love life* has been rather uneventful the last few years, I still like the general concept of the holiday. As I've said before, my cynical self still holds out hope that Cupid is alive and well, waiting in the wings with his tiny bow and arrow aimed in the right direction!

So, in honor of this sweet Hallmark holiday, I'd like to share a little love trivia with you. I found these tidbits in a cute little book titled 'The Ladies Room Reader' by Alicia Alvarez:

The first known Valentine's Day card was sent in 1415, when the duke of Orleans, who was imprisoned in the Tower of London, sent a love note to his wife. The note is on display today in the British Museum.

Americans send more Valentine's Day cards than on any other holiday except Christmas.

There's an old wives tale that if you want to attract a lover, or to strengthen the love you already have, you should make something by hand and give it to the beloved as a gift. The energy you imbue in the item will bind the person to you.

Ms Alvarez also included a few interesting quotes from some well known ladies:

'Women want mediocre men, and men are working hard to be as mediocre as possible'. Margaret Mead

'The people I am furious with are the women's liberationists. They keep getting up on soapboxes and proclaiming women are brighter than men. That's true, but it should be kept quiet or it ruins the whole racket.' Anita Loos

'During the feminist revolution, the battle lines were again simple. It was easy to tell the enemy, he was the one with the penis. This is no longer strictly true. Some men are okay now. We're allowed to like them again. We still have to keep them in line, of course, but we no longer have to shoot them on sight.'
Cynthia Heimel

These women sound a bit bitter, don't they? Ouchie! But not me! I'm not bitter. I find the opposite sex to be fascinating. I do wonder sometimes what God was thinking when he made these charming creatures. However, In His infinte wisdom, He did put us ladies here to help them. What a divine plan! Now, if they would only listen....but, that's another story. Let's move on.


Oprah Winfrey said: 'Nothing compares to being in love.'

I like this positive statement from Cher too: 'If grass can grow through cement, love can find you anywhere.'

And now, a classic poem from Robert Louis Stevenson:

Love, What is Love
Love, what is love? A great and aching heart;
Wrung hands; and silence; and a long dispair.
Life, what is life? Upon a moorland bare
To see love coming and see love depart.
Of course, the Bible speaks of love in 1 Corinthians 13.
Verse 13 says: 'And now these three things remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.'
Happy Valentine's Day, ya'll!



3 comments:

TxGoodie said...

What a sweet post! Happy Heart's Day to you too, my dear!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are over your Januarys,,I will admit that it is a feel bad month.. I also like your thoughts on love,,,they are so you. And yes your are right,,,women were put here to help us men,,,and they do a great job.
Happy Valentine Day !!!

Jason said...

Remember, it was a woman who listened to the snake and got us all thrown out.

;-)

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm glad you're doing well. Take care.