Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Cold Day in Texas

There was a white blanket of frost on the ground this morning when I got up to make coffee. I decided to stay in because it was also very windy and I am still not completely over 'the crud'. In fact, my ears were aching last night. Guess I should have gone to the doctor when I first got sick..I would probably be over it by now. Oh well!

As I was reading 'Soul Retreats for Women' today, I came a cross this little gem:

When life isn't the way you like, like it the way it is.

The lesson is about being content with what you have and where you are. It suggests that one think about all the things you love about your life. Jot down a list of everything you already have. Ignore what might be or how you wish things could be in an ideal world, and cultivate an appreciation for life just as it is.

Philippians 4: 12-13 says; 'I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or want. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength'.

Yes, certain aspects of my life aren't they way I like, but whose is? I do have so many things to be thankful for. I have two wonderful children who have grown into fine young adults. They are both married to fine people and have given me five beautiful grandchildren between them. I am healthy, my children and grandchildren are healthy. I have a great career, many sweet friends and associates. I have two loving sisters and a 'baby' brother whom I adore and who adore me.
The list goes on, as I begin to think about all that I do have. I really must try to ignore what might be and learn to appreciate life....just as it is. God will work out the rest!

It is dark now and there is a beautiful full moon, the wind has died down. I'm going to go play with Elvis, who by the way, is another sweet blessing in my life these days.

I love that puppy, ya'll!



No comments: