Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Table

I made chair back covers to match the tablecloth. The ornament was made from gold metal medallions from an old belt. I glued two medallions together for the base then added beaded fringe along the bottom, glued a small mosaic medallion in the center and added a small jewel. I glued on a bar pin back to attach it to the fabric. I love it when I come up with a clever idea like this!
My friend and I designed and created this 'desert oasis' for the Spring Tea. We used a metal canopy frame and covered it with fabric. The striped tent front and other props were borrowed from the music department. The stage was covered with yards of gauze to get the illusion of sand.
Here is my table. This picture doesn't show all the fine details. There were smaller jewel boxes filled with jewelry and brightly colored glass stones placed between the red votive candles. The large hammered metal tray was filled with more jewelry and stones, along with a glass mosaic candle holder. Airy asparagus fern was nestled underneath the tray. The shimmering gold and green organza table squares were scattered with more glass stones and faux jewels, adding an extra sparkle. Copper gold glass chargers were enhanced by red and copper beaded napkin rings holding creamy sateen napkins. Candle light danced off the stones and jewelry, creating a casually elegant ambiance. We dined on a delectable array of salads, consisting of pasta with grilled chicken, tossed garden and fresh fruit. For dessert, we had our choice of chocolate or carrot cake. Yours truly chose the chocolate, of course!

These events take a lot of planning and work, but it is so rewarding to see the ladies come and enjoy an inspiring evening in a beautiful setting. It brings me joy to share my talents in this way, surrounded with friends, who delight in joining me at my table for an evening of fun, food and fellowship.

A good time was had by all, ya'll!




12 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi lainey,

How lovely that you remembered to share some pictures of your Spring Tea with us. I particularly like what you did with the chair back covers; very clever! And the table setting is beautiful! I can see that you put a lot of effort into creating your special table. The food sounds like it was delectable too! Congratulations on a job well done!!

TxGoodie said...

Man! Just think what you could of done with real chairs! That's amazing...

Good job! Wish I had some chocolate cake right about now....

Litzi said...

Just think what Lainey could do with an entire Tea Room! Maybe she’s in the wrong business, or should consider going into decorating as a side line. And, chocolate cake does sound awfully good!

clew said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

Lainey said...

Thank you all for the kind words.

I would love to do an entire Tea Room, Miss Litzi.

Many of my hair clients consult with me about their decorating projects.

I have upholstered a few chairs and a loveseat, TX Goodie. What
fun!

Nice to hear from you, Clew.

Lainey said...

Hey Drib,
It would be a pleasure to have you at my table, mustard droppings and all! You would definately be the entertainment!

Litzi said...

Hi ladies,
If you spray the table cloth with Scotch Guard first, you can dribble all the mustard you want and it’ll wipe right up!

Lainey said...

Now why didn't I think of that, Miss Litzi?

I will be sure to put Scotch Guard on my list for the next Tea!

Attila the Mom said...

Wow, that's so beautiful! I love the copper/gold charges.

Everything went together so beautifully!

You should be a set designer!

Litzi said...

Hi lainey,
I hope I didn’t tick you off by suggesting you try Scotch Guard on your tablecloths. I learned the hard way to spray them before struggling to remove red wine, food and candle wax. It makes life a little easier and I wanted to share the idea with you and your readers.

Lainey said...

You certainly didn't tick me off, Miss Litzi. I appreciated the hint and I will use it.

By the way, what happened to your blog? It looks like you deleted everything. Hope you're not going away. I do enjoy our chats.

Thanks for the compliments, Attila. It took two days to build and decorate that set and about 30 minutes to tear it down!

Litzi said...

Hi Lainey,
What happened to my blog? At 11:00 a.m. today, I was still on the computer, typing notes for a new post I was starting to work on and responding to other people’s blogs intermittently. I realized there are several major commitments in June that I must start making plans for, and if I continued down the path I was headed, I’d get nothing accomplished. And yes, I did delete my blogs, mainly because I wasn’t pleased with any of them. The content was okay but I felt a couple of them were redundant and I didn’t like the way I’d handled the subject matter on another one, etc....

I’ll be around making an occasional comment here and there when the mood strikes me, and I’ll probably start writing again after things get sorted out. We can still “chat” on your blog site, as long as YOU keep posting!