Sunday, May 28, 2006

Riding the Merry-Go-Round

That's what I've been doing the last week or so...riding the merry-go-round of life. The hair show in Dallas was fun and interesting. Hair styles are still about the same...lots of straight, fringy hair. Lots of bold hair color and accent colors in jewel tones. It seems like the primary purpose of these shows is to sell and introduce new products rather than showing anything useful as far as hair cutting and styling. The 'platform artists' are interesting to watch, but there are only so many ways to cut hair, and I think I've seen them all. However, I still like to see the 'show' and hopefully pick up some new techniques. I think my clients like to know that I am interested in keeping up with the currents trends. It does motivate me to try new things and be more progressive and creative 'behind the chair'.

The show was held at the Gaylord Texan Hotel http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordtexan/. Check it out...it is awesome! I want to go back, just to stay at the resort and spa.

I had an extremely busy week in The World of Hair, but I had to race home Tuesday night to see the final showdown between Taylor and Kat on American Idol. I voted for Taylor! Then, I got home on Wednesday night at 8:45, just in time to see the results. When Ryan announced that Taylor won, I jumped up and let out the 'Taylor Howl' Woooooo! Scared poor little Elvis to death! He jumped back and looked at me like I had lost my mind. Now, we'll have to wait and see if Taylor can live up to the title. I think he has a good shot at it. He's cute, has personality and a unique voice. I'll buy his first CD. Go Taylor!

I got off work early on Friday so I could get on the road to College Station. One of my clients was getting married in Aggieland. Both she and her fiance just graduated from A&M and wanted to be married at their church in Bryan, Tx. I stayed at the Hilton Hotel, along with the other out of town guests. The room was very nice and elegant. I loved the cushy down comforters, fluffy pillows and thick, plush towels. After checking into my room, I went to the local mall and did a little shopping, then got a pedicure. I then stopped at a deli and had a Greek chicken salad before returning to my room and nestling into my comfy, soft bed. I had to get up early Saturday morning and go to the bride's home and do her and her attendants hair. After the girls were all done, I went back to my room and got myself ready to go to the two o'clock ceremony. The reception was held at 'The Kyle House', an old Victorian home turned 'event venue'. The wedding ceremony itself was beautiful and inspiring. These are two young people who are dedicated to each other and to the Lord. May God bless them abundantly and keep them in His care as they begin their life together. Her mom is also a dear, sweet friend whom I treasure greatly, as is her sweet little sister.
It was an honor to be able to share in their special day.

So, here it is Memorial Day week-end...a time to remember all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our great nation and for those veterans who survived and came home to enjoy this great land we call America

Thanks Veterans!

Enjoy your time off, ya'll!



3 comments:

clew said...

Sounds like a good time! I was going to go into hair but went into art instead. Now I do accounting. HUNH ... WTF!

;)

I need to put this blog on my roll too, as well as Elvis!

Have a great week, Lainey ~ Hugs!

Lainey said...

Hi Clew,
I used to work in accounting...BORING! (-:

Thanks for adding me to your roll!
(And Elvis, too)

Hugs to you

Lainey said...

Hi Drib,

Yes, we really have hair shows.
Just like many other industries have trade shows. It's a way to have fun, spend money and have a nice tax deduction! LOL