Sunday, June 17, 2007

Hello World!

I bought these daylillies not knowing what type they were. I was pleasantly surprised to see these beautiful, unusual blooms one morning as I was leaving for work.

About two weeks ago I was watching the bluebird parents make their early morning food run. They were taking turns bringing one juicy bug after another. I thought that baby must be getting huge from all the protein! Suddenly I saw movement from inside the house. The little guy had managed to peek out of the door. I ran to get my camera...I just had to get a picture. It sat there and peered out, ready to get out and explore the world.

He must have flown away while I was at work. The parents didn't come to the house late in the afternoon or the next morning. Then, a few days later, the entire family came back to the porch. The fledgling bird lit on a perch near the window, flapping its wings, waiting to be fed. The parents were nearby. One of them flew to the ground. The baby followed and watched as its Mom attacked a mole cricket and devoured it. I could just imagine her saying " Here's the kitchen, help yourself!"



They still come to the house every morning. It looks like the female is re-feathering the nest, preparing to lay more eggs. The fledgling continues to grow and will help raise the next generation.
The kids and grand kids have all gone home. We had a wonderful, fun visit. I'm still washing towels and sheets! Guess I'll have to eat the chicken nuggets and Popsicles left in the freezer. Those chocolate chip Eggo's sure were yummy!
Life goes on, ya'll!



2 comments:

Litzi said...

Hi Lainey,
What a lovely story about your fledglings! You got a terrific picture of him/her/it poking its little head out the hole. And the birdhouse is adorable!

That’s interesting about the mother re-feathering the same nest. A birdhouse on my front porch was a “nursery” a couple of years ago; someone told me that if I didn’t thoroughly clean it out (disinfect the sides and floor) after the babies flew off, it’d never be used again…which it hasn’t been. I’ve got one birdhouse that has a “trapdoor” on the bottom, thus exposing the entire inside; it’d be easy enough to scrub out…but all the others would be virtually impossible to clean. It’s going to be interesting to see how many “families” your birdhouse supports…

Are you having a bit of “empty nest” syndrome because everyone’s left? You’ve always got your birds to keep you company!! Your daylilies are gorgeous!

She Loves to Quilt said...

Your flowers are absolutely beautiful, just like you!!!!