Monday, May 14, 2007

A Beautiful Wedding

A Limoge box was the inspiration for the wedding cake, designed by the bride. Fresh citrus fruit, tropical flowers and sea grasses adorned the top of a delicious lemon pound cake.

The large vase to the right of the cake is filled with seashells. In the bottom of the vase, the grooms sister placed sand from the beach. Each guest placed a shell in the vase as they exited the beach after the ceremony. I'm sure the bride and groom will enjoy this reminder of their special day for years to come.
I just returned from sunny, or I should say, smoky Florida this afternoon. The smoke from wildfires in Georgia and northern Florida was blown by a subtropical depression, covering the entire state. I flew into Tampa Wednesday afternoon and the skies were fairly clear, as they were most of Thursday in Winter Haven. By Friday, the sky was a little hazy, but we had a wedding to attend.


My daughter, son in law and grand daughters left Friday morning, driving south to Naples/ Fort Myers for my niece's wedding. We arrived at The Bellasera hotel www.sunstream.com around 1:00 pm, entering the lobby through two huge, heavy dark wooden doors. A metal spiral staircase led to the second floor landing. I felt like I was in Italy. Our two bedroom suite was beautifully appointed in a warm Tuscan decor. The complete kitchen had gorgeous granite counter tops and beautiful black appliances. I could live there!


After checking in, we met up with my sister and other family members and went to the pool area. Her two grandsons and my two granddaughters enjoyed a swim while we sat and had a glass of tea. Soon it was time to get ready for the wedding. My daughter and I were 'in charge' of the bride, so I gathered her and all her stuff and we went to our suite to work on hair and make up. The little girls were fascinated by the whole process. Since both were members of the wedding party, I styled their hair too, and helped them get dressed. My sister took charge of the boys, and soon we were all ready for the trek to the beach for the ceremony.


When we arrived at Lowdermilk park beach around 6:30 pm, the wind was blowing and there was a smoky haze covering the entire area. The chairs weren't set up yet, so everyone pitched in a got them set up. Then, to the melody of a Jamaican steel drum, the bride made her way to a bamboo arch, festooned with palm fronds and orange tropical lilies. She wore a beautiful cream gown and held a hand tied nosegay of orange calla lilies and tiny green orchids. Her handsome groom awaited, dressed in a light summer suit, a lime green Cymbidium orchid pinned to his lapel. My two granddaughters stood by the bride while the brides two sons stood by the groom. My son in law officiated the ceremony, and as he pronounced the happy couple husband and wife, my heart swelled with love and appreciation for being blessed with such a wonderful family. At the end of the ceremony, instead of throwing rice, everyone tossed a seashell into the surf while saying a prayer or blessing for the newlyweds. Their names were inscribed on each shell.


After the ceremony, the entire group of about 25 people, went to Truluck's Steak and Stonecrab restaurant. We all enjoyed a beautiful sit down dinner of steak and seafood. Need I say more? Yum!!!


Wait, there's more! Saturday morning, The groom's family hosted a brunch at the couple's new home in Fort Myers. More food......including mimosas, desserts from the night before that we were all too stuffed to eat, PLUS wedding cake!


Finally, it was time to say our goodbyes and get on the road. We decided to stop by Sanibel beach before we left the area. The smoke had cleared and the sun was shining brightly as we walked along the waters edge, picking up sea shells. What a perfect end to such a perfect day!


Guess what I did on Mother's day! More about that later.....


And a good time was had by all, ya'll!




1 comment:

She Loves to Quilt said...

How wonderful! I can't wait to see more pictures!!! I love the way you write!