Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mother's Day

This Mother's Day was extra special for me for several reasons. First of all, I was in Florida with my girls. That in itself was cool, but now that my daughter is expecting baby number three it was even more wonderful. Her youngest will be nine years old in a few weeks so this was definitely a surprise to everyone.

Anyway, we all got up early and went to church. Pastor son in law had to stay for the late service so we girls decided to have an early lunch at Woody's Bar B Que. After all the seafood at the wedding, I was ready for some juicy baby back ribs. Daughter was craving some fried onion rings. Her father in law and sister in law had the same idea and came in right as we were being seated, so they joined us at our table. This place is also known for their delicious homemade pies, cakes and banana pudding........well, it was Mother's Day and we had already blown the diet at the wedding. What would one more piece of pie hurt?
The girls shared a piece of French Silk pie, Father in law and I shared the Coconut Cream pie and daughter went for the banana pudding. Oh wow, was it ever good! We didn't forget pastor S-i-L....we took him a sliced beef sandwich, french fries and saved a few bites of pie and pudding.

Now, for the real story. After we had kicked back for a short siesta, we hooked up the boat and went to the lake to do a little tubing. CB, the oldest granddaughter hopped on for the first round. She's a regular hot dog and really loves to ride the waves. What fun, I thought. I had been tubing once before and felt up to the challenge again. I put on my life jacket and gingerly hopped on the big blue tube. They forgot to tell me to slide toward the back before take off and before I knew what was happening the thing flipped forward and landed me face first in the water. There was no way I could pull myself back up on the thing from the water, so I had to get back in the boat and climb on it from there. I managed to get on the ladder but was unable to pull myself up into the boat.
S-I-L had to give me a hand! Eventually, I got back on the tube and away I went. It was a nice ride and I managed to stay on the entire time. Getting back in the boat proved to be a challenge once again, but I made it in. CB took another spin, then the youngest granddaughter wanted me to ride with her. No problem, I survived the first ride, so the two of us climbed on and took off. I guess A felt safe with me because she wanted to go faster and 'get some wave'. I gave S-I-L the thumbs up to go faster and make some waves. Next thing I knew, we were hitting the waves, bouncing up and down on the tube. I was holding on for dear life and A was screaming like the little girl she is! All of a sudden, we went over the edge of the wake and I lost my grip. I went flying into the water and came up gasping for air. Every muscle in my body was jerking....I was exhausted! How was I going to get back in the boat, I thought. Somehow I was able to get onto the ladder but there was no way I could pull myself up. I must have looked like a drowned rat because they were asking me if I was OK...while laughing their heads off, I might add! S-I-L held out his hand but I was afraid to let go of the ladder. I knew I had to either get in the boat or they would have to idle back to shore, dragging me in the water. Long story short, I finally grabbed his hand. He literally had to flop my body over the side of the boat. I felt like a fish that had just been reeled in. My muscles were quivering and I felt like I weighed a ton! Those brats were still laughing as we headed for the dock. What a blast....so invigorating! Can't wait to go again!!

When we got home, father in law had gone to the store and bought a huge ice cream cake. He's such a nice man! Oh mercy....more dessert, but I couldn't resist. Besides, it would be rude to refuse.....and I needed to replace the calories I burned during my wild ride around the lake!

So, how was that for a fun Mother's Day, ya'll?

2 comments:

TxGoodie said...

Wow, sounds like your life is just one glorious adventure after another! Good for you!

I had a nice Mums Day meal with the "kids" at a Mexican food place nearby. Got to bring home what I couldn't finish for several more meals! It was the gift that kept on giving! The joint handed out carnations to the moms and mine is still lookin' good! I love carnations for that very fact!

She Loves to Quilt said...

You rock, you know that???