Friday, May 04, 2007

Birdhouses


I found this cute birdhouse at the Bluebonnet festival a few weeks ago. It has a crackled tin roof and I love all the metal work on it. The little green birdhouse and the Boston fern are hanging on a piece of metal scroll work from an old screen door.


One day I noticed a pair of Eastern Bluebirds flying near the porch. One of them lit on the front of the house and went right in while its mate waited, perched nearby on top of a wind chime. They must have liked the location because they immediately began to bring pieces of straw inside and started making their nest.

I can't get close enough to take a picture of the birds. I caught this shot as they were dragging a piece of grass into the house. I love collecting unique, hand crafted birdhouses and have quite a nice collection. This is the first time some of my feathered friends have taken up residence in one.







4 comments:

She Loves to Quilt said...

Oh, I hope you can get a picture of them someday.......what wonderful bird houses!!!

TxGoodie said...

Good pictures of the "neighborhood"! I just bought a tacky flying pig birdhouse from Kroger and hung it in the tree, but so far no one's home! When Cody starts shedding I leave wads of his hair in the yard and they love nesting with that. Birds are such opportunist.

Litzi said...

Hi Lainey,
Your birdhouses are absolutely adorable! I've got a lot of them around my house also, but so far only one has been used for a nest.

Happy Mother's Day!!

She Loves to Quilt said...

seen any more birds lately?