Saturday, March 11, 2006

Spring has Sprung in South Texas

The days are getting longer, so there was plenty of daylight left when we got home from work yesterday. We put the leash on Elvis and went for a walk 'out back'. The woods are coming alive with new growth. This little pond is full of water from the recent rains, which makes the frogs happy. They were croaking and chirping. In a nearby bog I saw wild irises and pretty marsh grasses. I even found dewberry vines in full bloom. I hope I get to the ripe berries before the critters do! The chickadees were flitting about, feeding on the tender new buds of the oak trees. There were lots of fresh deer tracks. After dark the night before, we spotted five does feeding in the open field to the left of the pond. These woods are home to all manner of wild life and plants. It makes me sad when I think about the day that they will be destroyed in the name of progress, to make way for more houses or businesses. The land where my home sits was once wooded, so it is only a matter of time before this little section of forest meets the same fate. I know that part of the land is a county easement and greenbelt designated for drainage and runoff. At least that will stay intact. However, the open field were the deer like to feed is for sale. It's frontage is on the four lane main thoroughfare, so it is a commercial tract. The woods to the right of the pond have been 'logged' recently. The pine trees have been removed and sold, probably to make more lumber, to build more houses! Oh well, I will enjoy it as long as it is here, meanwhile, I will plant my own forest. I started today by planting two pine saplings and an oak tree.

Happy spring, ya'll!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope there were no inbreeders hiding in the bog. they scare me a little.

thanks for visiting my blog, i'm guessing you came by way of mike? straighten me out if i'm wrong.

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

What a beautiful view that is! I truly hope that it will be a long, long time before developers destroy the beauty of the land. Enjoy it as much as you can while it remains.