Thursday, March 02, 2006

Who Dressed the Dogs up?

I have a client who has a tea cup chihuahua about 2 years old. She takes the dog everywhere she goes. In fact, I met her at the nail salon last year about this time. I noticed the dog all bundled in a baby blanket on her lap as we were sitting next to one another getting our nails done. I commented on how cute he was and we started talking. She told me that she got the dog after her son was killed in car accident. She went on to tell about how the puppy had brought her comfort and helped fill a void as she went through the grieving process. She also suffers from lupus and is unable to work, so she and Peanut are inseparable. I believe the dog would grieve himself to death if anything ever happened to her. She was in today and as usual, brought 'Peanut' along. Well, this little guy was all decked out in a camouflage tank top and hat. He was wearing goggles that co-ordinated with his camo. He always wears a necklace ( which is really a ladies bracelet). He has quite an extensive wardrobe and is always dressed in a cute outfit.

It seems that the trendy thing to do these days is to dress your dog in cute outfits. So, should I buy Elvis a few t-shirts? What about a hat? On second thought, I don't think he would stand for a hat to be strapped to his head. He'd probably rip it off and tear it to shreds! He wears a tiny camouflage bandana around his neck sometimes, but I think a simple t-shirt would be OK too. I did make Elvis a cape and he tolerated it fairly well, but he hasn't worn it in public yet.

Peanut fills a need in my friends' life, as Elvis has done for me. So what if we put clothes on them. They love us unconditionally and tolerate our goofy behavior!

When I was a kid, we had lots of cats and kittens. My sister and I would put our doll clothes on the cats and pretend they were our babies. Or, sometimes we would just pretend that the cat was a baby wearing a 'kitty suit' if they wouldn't let us dress them up. Same principle, different era!

If Elvis doesn't like wearing clothes, I'll just pretend that he's a baby wearing a puppy suit. So there!

It's a beautiful thing, ya'll!


2 comments:

TxGoodie said...

Just don't put him in gold lame' and get him a guitar. I say 'go for it'...

TxGoodie said...

Check out my friend's list of dog wear! http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=stjnky