Saturday, April 15, 2006

Easter

Easter is my favorite holiday. For Christians, it is a time to remember why Jesus was crucified on the cross and to celebrate his resurrection. The story can be found in Matthew 27 & 28.
We, as Christians believe that He died on the cross of Calvary for the redemption of our sins, that He arose on the third day and ascended into heaven. Tomorrow is Easter Sunday, a day of celebration.


When I was a child, my mom or my aunt would make my sister and me an Easter dress. We always got a new pair of white sandals or black Mary Janes, too. One year our dresses were made out of pink taffeta with tiered ruffle skirts. We were so cute! We would get up early on Easter Sunday and go to sunrise service, then go home and see if the Easter Bunny had left any eggs for us to hunt. Daddy didn't ever go with us, so he hid the eggs while we were at church. My aunt would make us the most beautiful baskets filled with candy and little yellow (fake) chickies. She would put Wisteria petals in with the green plastic grass to make it smell nice. Later in the afternoon, after we had eaten lunch, my brother, sister and I would re-hide our eggs and hunt for them again and again. We used boiled eggs back then and by the time we got through with them, they were pretty much destroyed. Bubba liked to throw them at us. Of course, we would eat a few along the way, along with those big candy eggs with the colored outside and white stuff in the middle. Mix in a few chocolate bunnies and jelly beans and it became quite a lethal combination. I really hated those big marshmallow eggs, but I would eat them any way. I was usually the first one to throw up!

And guess what! We could have EASTER parties at school with real cupcakes and goodies made at home by our 'room mothers'! No one died from eating any of it, either. We could even talk about the real meaning of Easter and not be reprimanded, lest we 'offend' someone. Wow, how times have changed.

I carried on these family traditions with my children. I learned to sew and began making my daughter's Easter dresses. I even made my son a tiny little Easter suit when he was two years old. I still have their first Easter baskets, packed away in a box somewhere. Wish I still had their little outfits, but I can't remember for the life of me what I did with them. Probably gave them to my sister or put them in a garage sale.

After church, I will take my decorated sugar cookies, brownies and pork roast to my sister's house and spend the afternoon with her and her family.
I'm going to try really hard not to digress back into that little girl who used to stuff herself with too many candy eggs, chocolate bunnies and jelly beans. I don't want to throw up all over my new flip flops!

Have a Happy, blessed Easter, ya'll!

2 comments:

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

That was a wonderful journey down memory lane! I am glad you are keeping traditions for your own children. I too grew up in a time when we could have parties at school and talk about Easter. Glad I grew up when I did :)

Lainey, I wish you and your family a very happy and joyous Easter

Attila the Mom said...

Boy did that bring back the memories!

I have two sons, so no Easter bonnets for them. :-)

Thanks for such a lovely post.

Hope you had a wonderful Easter.