Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Exciting World of Hair

What a lovely day I had in the world of hair. My first client is always a pleasure to see. She started coming to me again about 8 months ago. After I moved back to Texas from Florida I contacted all my clients, but it took a while for some of them to make their way back to me. One day, out of the blue, she called to make an appointment. I was thrilled to hear from her. I don't know who was cutting her hair while I was gone, but I'm glad she came back!

Before I moved, I referred my clients to several of my friends, including the two of the girls I work with now. A few clients decided to stay with them, but most wanted to come back to me. It can be an awkward situation, but we tried to reassure every one that what ever they chose to do was fine. We wanted them to feel comfortable coming to our salon, no matter which stylist they see. It has worked out really well, because we all know one another's clients and are able to cover for each other if need be.

Some stylists are very 'territorial' when it comes to their clientele. Fortunately, we have established a level of trust and integrity, and we respect each other's boundaries. The comfort of our clients is our main priority, so we would never 'fight' over someone! Believe me, I have worked in salons full of backbiting, 'clientnapping' prima donnas who think they are above folding towels or cleaning up after themselves. Crazy!

I'll be the first to admit that hairdressers are an interesting bunch. We are stereotyped as flighty, egotistical, and temperamental artistes. We dress weird and have extreme hair colors. We move around from salon to salon like herds of cattle. We're slightly twisted, or we wouldn't be in this business, I suppose. It's kind of like show business, in a way. We have to be *on* when we are behind the chair. We entertain, we listen to problems, we laugh and we cry with our clients. Not to mention, that everyone wants their hair to look like Jennifer Aniston's or Lisa Rena's! I used to work with a girl whose favorite line to that was: "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**!" And no, she didn't say that to her client, ya'll. She'd say it later in the back room while we were all sitting around 'discussing' our clients and their hair.

And would you believe that we all have clients who are, shall we say, a challenge? We wonder, if they are so unhappy with their hair, why do they keep coming back to torment us? We think they need a good therapist, cause it ain't always the hair, honey. I swear, I have one or two who I should charge $100.00 an hour, just to listen to their problems. But seriously, that comes with the territory, so I just continue to listen and offer an occasional tibit of advice. Most people don't really want advice, anyway. They just want some one to listen. Everyone has a story and honestly, I love to hear them. Someday, I'm gonna write a book!

I love it, though. Every day is different. I get to laugh and 'cut up' (pun intended) with people I like, yes even the challenging ones. I make them look and feel better. They bring me food and gifts at Christmas and other special occasions. They share their most intimate thoughts and feelings with me, knowing that it will be kept in complete confidence. Besides, I forget half of what I hear because my hairdresser pea brain can't hold it all. I work people in when I am so booked I can't see daylight, because they have an emergency or have to go out of town. I get invited to their weddings and other happy occasions, but have also been to a few funerals.

I could go on, but it's getting late. I want to go watch Saturday Night Live. Antonio Banderas is the guest tonight. He's hot! I'll probably pass out on the couch after the first fifteen minutes, though!

Night, ya'll

7 comments:

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

I love your stories from the "world of hair"! :) I have to let the hubby read your post tomorrow and I know he will agree with everything you said....LOL....when you *do* write a book, let me know, I'm sure it will be a hoot!

Lainey said...

I'm sure he has some of his own stories!
When I write my book, I'll have to change names to protect the 'innocent'.

Lainey said...

M D'er,
Did it work? The low cut shirt, I mean...did you give her a BIG tip?

Wonder if that's why my men are such good tippers?

Lainey said...

M D'er,
Duh...I'm nice and I give a good haircut, you silly man!

TxGoodie said...

I hate having to "break in" a new hairdresser so I pretty much stick with one until they mess up more than they do a good job. The one I'm with now I've been using for years and years. She's "cheap" too...usually $17.95 for a haircut and blowdry and $50-$60 for a body wave. I used to get a tint and then decided the heck with it...I still have way more brown than gray. I only get a body wave because of the nasty cowlicks God gave me.

The worst thing I do, hair wise, is wait to long between cuts. It's like one week everything is cool and it's lookin' good and then BLAM! I'm having a bad hair MONTH.

The worst thing a hairdresser can ever say to a customer, IMHO, is "WHO cut your hair!!"....I used to get that all the time when I went to one of those clip 'n rip joints. That's as bad as the salesladies that say "Did that FIT"?

All in all I'd say finding the right hairdresser is like finding a good mate! :-) If you've got a good one you should treasure them!

Lainey said...

TxGoodie,
Sounds like your hairdresser has a pretty good track record.
$17.95 for a haircut and blowdry is a pretty good deal these days, too.
I try not to comment on other hairdressers work unless it is a TOTAL disaster and the client is having a nervous fit about it. I have seen some hair cuts that made me wonder how the person got their license, though!
I must be doing something right, my clients stay with me through thick and thin. Even when I have moved away, they come back when I return.
It's a cool thing!

TxGoodie said...

I went in yesterday for a body wave. I told Vena (my hairdresser) that I knew it was time for another because the last one finally quit stinkin'.... I also waited until after the Easter crazies to make an appearance! She had four gals sitting around watching Dr. Phil and me the only paying customer. Biz finally picked up when the men started coming in for trims.

Oh, and there was one little kid that had to sit on his momma's lap he was so nervous...since he was right next door to me I gave him a big old grin and, figures, he wents nuts crying. I've just got this gift, you see...