Monday, April 03, 2006

The House is Quiet

What a fun filled week I had, ya'll! The rain stopped us from going to Galveston so we had to go the mall instead. The girls wanted to go to the Build a Bear store. One got a puppy and one got another bear. They are so cute. I still needed to get daughter a birthday gift so we looked at clothes. Nothing 'worked'! We stopped in a store that sells oil and vinegar and all kinds of spices, seasonings and condiments. I bought some apple balsamic vinegar, olive oil and Sicilian dipping spices. You mix the spices with olive oil and dip your bread in it. Yum-o! I used the apple balsamic vinegar in a marinade for some country style pork ribs. Very tasty!

Later that evening, daughter and I hit another local mall, still in quest of clothes. We hit the jackpot! We found a cute skirt for her at Foley's. We made our way to Dillard's and found the same skirt, but it was 10.00 more than at Foley's....cha-ching! As we were looking for a top to go with the skirt, would you believe she found another skirt! It was a cute swirly hemmed denim. Of course, it needed just the right blouse too, which we found. Then, I found a cool looking white pant suit. Loved it! Got it, along with a bright orange tank! Ok, then I had to have shoes to go with it. I found some cork wedges, need I say more? Why does every outfit need it's own accessories? It's called 'The snowball effect'. One thing leads to another! We are two peas in a pod when it comes to shopping, my baby girl and I. I taught her well!

On Thursday we went to Old Town Spring and looked around all the little shops. I found a cute animal print harness for Elvis at a pet boutique. The girls spotted a cute shop called Libby Lulu's. It was decorated in bright pink with chandeliers and girly stuff all over the place. Lot's of hats, purses and jewelry. Son in law requested Wunsche Bros Cafe for lunch. They have killer burgers and onion rings!

The girls stayed with me on Friday while their Mom and Dad went fishing with PaPa. We went to the hair salon and I colored my friends' hair who was visiting from west Texas. I took the girls to lunch at Landry's Seafood, then we stopped at Toys R Us to look for a board game called Sequence. We ran in Wal-Mart for a few things, including Floam. The girls said it was neat to play with, so I did what any Memaw would do, I bought them each a pack of it. That kept them busy for the rest of the afternoon. They went to the movies that night to see Ice Age, the Meltdown.

Saturday was the Big Bar b Que. I made potato salad, beans, salsa and guacamole to go with the brisket, ribs and chicken. We made a 'Perfectly Chocolate chocolate cake' for dessert, garnished with fresh strawberries. The recipe is on the Hershey's cocoa can. It is the BEST chocolate cake you will ever eat! My sisters and nieces came over and we all sat around the table, eating and talking. The girls had fun getting re-acquainted with their second cousins.

As we were sitting there, having dessert and coffee, my daughter shared the most exciting news! She and her husband have made application to adopt a baby girl from China. She had already told me earlier and I got emotional all over again. I am so happy for them. They feel very strongly that this is God's will for them and their family at this time. I pray that He blesses them with their baby as soon as possible. The process takes about a year

So, tonight the house is quiet. Little Elvis has been looking for the girls all day. He had so much fun with them, and they loved playing with him. The remnants of a fun filled week are still strewn about. Games boxes are still on the table, empty build a bear boxes and shopping bags are in the bedroom. A forgotten pair of jeans in the laundry....but it's OK...It means that they were here. I will clean up and put things away later. Right now I just want to savor the sweet memories of the past week.

Blessings, ya'll

4 comments:

TxGoodie said...

Sure sounds like everyone had a good time...I'm happy when you're happy! And if you're like me, you're happy when the kids are! Sort of the domino effect being built...

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

Wow, sounds like you were a busy gal, and had so much fun! I am so happy for your daughter, a wonderful decision she has made. The adopted child will be so blessed :)

Lainey said...

Yes, a good time was had by all.

I am excited about the baby. I hope it all goes well.

Lainey said...

Mike,

Cork wedges: the sole of the shoe is a solid wedge from toe to heel, covered with cork.
They are very 'in' this spring....
and sexy!