Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What a beautiful day it was! It would have been a perfect day to work in the yard...maybe plant some pansies. My mums need to be cut back so they will bloom some more. Early this morning as I was getting ready for work I watched the blue birds sitting on the back fence , waiting for an unsuspecting grasshopper to become breakfast. They share the fence with whitewing doves and another little bird that I haven't been able to identify. He eats grasshoppers, too. He is greenish gray on his back with a white breast and a solid black head. A white stripe runs from his eye to his neck. It makes him look like he's wearing a black cap. I think he must be some sort of fly catcher. The bluebirds even flew close to the back porch. Since there are no trees in the back yard yet, the birds stay mostly on the fence, so it was a pleasant surprise to see them so close to the house. There are lots of woods and an open meadow in back of the house. I had better enjoy it while I can. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it gets sold and developed. I have also seen and heard a great horned owl in the early morning just before daylight. He's so big he looks like a cat sitting up in top of the pine tree. It will soon be time to put out the bird feeders for the winter. Wonder what feathered friends will visit me in my new place? Did I mention that I love to watch birds (and butterflies)? They are so free...Just flitting around all day looking pretty!
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving...a day to spend with family and/or friends, eat good food and gives thanks for the blessings we have. I must admit that I'm sort of sad that neither of my kids will be here, but at the same time I am thankful that they both have their own families and friends to share the day with. I will be seeing them soon, anyway.

I didn't stop by Ross after work. I don't need another purse! I need to buy for others, anyway.
Must go get the cranberries ready for tomorrow and ice my cakes.
Happy Thanksgiving eve!

No comments: