Saturday, December 24, 2005

It's a Merry Christmas eve
And I hardly can believe
How the times does fly
Has a year gone by
Since we trimmed the Christmas tree?

First thing this morning I made chocolate chip cookies. It's Christmas eve, afterall, and one MUST make cookies on Christmas eve. As I went about mixing the batter, I thought of all the times I made Christmas cookies with my kids when the were little. We made decorated sugar cookies, red and white candy canes and spritz. For the candy cane cookies, color half of the dough red and leave the other half plain, roll out one of each, twist them together, shape like a candy cane and bake. I wondered at the time why I bothered with the whole mess, but apparently the tradition 'stuck' with then. So, guess what they were both doing when I called today? Making cookies! Daughter was making iced snowflakes and bells, Son was making gingerbread men and sugar cookies. They both are good cooks, too. I taught them well!
The weather is absolutely glorious today, so I went for a walk in the woods out back. I found lots of yaupon holly with red berries, pine branches and pine cones. I brought it all back and made a large freeform arrangement for the table on the back porch. I took a rustic wooden angel and placed her in the midst of the greens. I filled a weathered, old basket with pinecones. Lovely, I must say!
I saw lots of deer and raccoon tracks! I would like to go out later in the evening to see if I can spot them, but I'm afraid to go alone. Spooky!
I will be busy, busy tomorrow, preparing my Christmas dinner, then spending the afternoon with my sisters and their families.

Have a Merry, blessed Christmas one and all!

No comments: